Discovered the NIST Digital Library of Mathematical Functions, the online successor of the Handbook of Mathematical Functions with Formulas, Graphs, and Mathematical Tables by Abramowitz and Stegun.
There are various ways to install Haskell on Arch Linux, as detailed in the Arch Wiki. After some consideration, I went for the simplest option: using pacman to install only the essential components of Haskell:
Yesterday I installed the Xmonad window manager on Arch Linux. The main reason I chose Xmonad is that it’s written in Haskell.
Today, I completed the install of Arch Linux. Enjoyed the whole process, even though it was more challenging than the other two distros I’ve installed (Ubuntu and CentOS). Also, restarted the 100 days of code. Today was day 1.
Use sudo -i to create an interactive root shell on CentOS. Instead of $, you will see #, indicating that you have root access. Very useful when you have to run a sequence of various commands which require root access. You won’t have to type sudo before each command.
Finally got round to installing Anaconda (the Python distribution) on CentOS. I followed this article at Linux Hint. Launched Anaconda Navigator from Terminal, then created new environment. Installed the git and Jupyter packages into it. Opened a terminal window in the new environment. Everything is working fine so far. Last year had random crashes when running Anaconda on OS X, then I installed it on Ubuntu in Virtual Box. Anaconda worked fine, except for the slowness which I expected from a virtual environment. Now that I’ve installed it on a machine dedicated to CentOS, I’m expecting it to work ideally.
Around 3 weeks ago, I made a couple of big changes. Changed my MacBook Air for a Lenovo ideapad 320, and then installed CentOS 7. Effectively, i’m starting again.
Ran the shell script to download the binary files and convert them to HDF5. First the download failed because the wget utility wasn’t installed. I got wget for El Capitan from rudix.org, then ran the script again, download successful. Then ran convert.jl and this worked too. Two HDF5 files have been created, named train and text. I can open either using h5dump:
Got the shell script from here: https://github.com/pluskid/Mocha.jl/blob/master/examples/cifar10/get-cifar10.sh
It will download the binary files from the CIFAR-10 dataset and convert them to HDF5 format which is readable by Mocha ( this script calls convert.jl to do the conversion).
Resolved the HDF5 error by pushing the path line to Julia config file (as suggested in the HDF5 installation docs).
So the problem before was that HDF5 was installed but Julia wasn’t seeing it.